RBC API Developer Portal Pilot
Terms And Conditions
Last Updated: 7 December 2017
ACCEPTING THE TERMS
These Terms are legally binding. Please read carefully before you accept, and keep a copy
These terms and conditions (“Terms”) govern your use of the RBC API Developer Portal, including any APIs, tools, content, or IP Rights available in the portal (“Developer Portal”). Please read these Terms carefully, as they are a legal agreement between you (“you”, “your”) and Royal Bank of Canada (“RBC,” “we,” or “us”).
For any capitalized terms not otherwise defined, please see Section S (Definitions) of these Terms.
Read and check the box to agree. By checking the box indicating your acceptance, you confirm that (1) you are the age of majority in the place that you live (2) you have reviewed these Terms, and (3) you agree to be bound by these Terms. These Terms take effect when you check the box on-screen.
If you are accepting on behalf of someone else, including a corporate entity, you confirm that (1) you have the authority to legally bind that person or entity to these Terms, and (2) you acknowledge that both you and the other person or entity will be bound by these Terms.
If you do not accept these Terms, you may not use or access the Developer Portal. Please close your browser to end your session.
Keep a copy of these Terms. You can find a copy of these Terms at any time at Terms and Conditions, where you will be able to print a copy for your records.
No changes to other agreements. These Terms do not replace any other agreement you may have with RBC (now or in the future), including any consent or preference regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. The terms of your other agreements with us continue to apply.
How we will contact each other
We will contact you using the contact information associated with your Profile. You can contact us by email at Contact Us.
SETTING UP A PROFILE
Getting started – setting up your Profile and Sign-In Credentials
In order to access the Developer Portal, you will have to set up and register a Profile. The first step will be to provide us with certain information, and to choose your Sign-In Credentials. You can use a new username and password, or your Other Log-In Information as your Sign-in Credentials. Then, we will send you a confirmation email to the email address that you provided, which will contain a verification link. You must click on the verification link to complete your Profile registration.
USING THE DEVELOPER PORTAL
The Developer Portal is a “sandbox” environment, which gives you access to APIs
After you have set up and verified your Profile, we will allow you access to the Developer Portal at our discretion. You must use your Sign-In Credentials each time you want to access the Developer Portal. If you use your Other Log-In Information as your Sign-In Credentials, we will not able to help you change or recover your Other Log-In Information. For help regarding your Other Log-In Information, please contact your Other Provider directly.
The Developer Portal is a “sandbox” (test) environment for you to develop and test Apps. Through the Developer Portal, you will be able to access certain APIs, and applicable documentation for the purpose of developing and testing Apps.
In order to access our APIs, you will be issued a unique consumer key (“Consumer Key”). The Consumer Key identifies your Apps and permits them to make calls to our APIs. You are responsible for any actions, including all API calls, made in relation to your Consumer Key. Any data accessed through the Developer Portal, including through APIs, is dummy data unless otherwise expressly indicated.
At our discretion, and at any time, we may add, remove or update our APIs, and we may limit the number of API calls we permit your Apps to make. We may also revoke your Consumer Key at any point, for any reason, including a violation of these Terms.
This agreement only covers the initial development of Apps within the Developer Portal, which is a test environment. You will only be granted access to our production environment if (1) your App(s) meets certain standards and specifications, as determined by us, and (2) you and RBC have entered into a separate agreement for the use of your App(s) in our production environment.
What do you have to pay?
There are currently no fees for using the Developer Portal. We may decide to introduce fees in the future, at which point we will notify you in accordance with these Terms. All amounts are expressed in Canadian dollars.
YOUR RESPESENATIONS TO US
You are legally responsible for the things you tell us
You represent and confirm the following:
- Any information you provide to us in connection with your Profile registration, and use of the Developer Portal and Apps is true and correct.
- You own or have properly licensed all rights to any content necessary to develop, distribute, and use your Apps, or any other content or IP Rights you use in relation to the Developer Portal.
- Your Apps will not infringe the IP Rights of any third party.
- Your use of the Developer Portal will comply with these Terms and all Applicable Law.
LICENSE GRANTED TO YOU
You get a license to use the Developer Portal, which we can terminate if necessary
RBC grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive, non-sub-licensable (except to any extent specified in this section) license for the Developer Portal, at no charge and subject to these Terms.
Except as permitted by these Terms, you shall not distribute, sublease, transfer, copy, reproduce, download, display, modify or timeshare the Developer Portal, or any portion thereof, and you shall not use it as a component of products or services prepared for commercial sale, sublicense, lease, access or distribution. RBC reserves all rights in the Developer Portal not expressly granted to you under these Terms. You agree to protect the Developer Portal from unauthorized access, copying or use.
RBC retains the right to terminate the license given under these Terms at any time, without notice to you. Any license granted by these Terms will automatically terminate if you violate these Terms.
These Terms relate solely to developing, testing, and using Apps in the Developer Portal, which is a “sandbox” environment, and they do not grant you any right or license to conduct or process transactions using our services or systems, or authorize individuals outside of your legal entity to access or use the Developer Portal.
APP OWNERSHIP AND DEVELOPMENT RIGHTS
You grant us a license to use your Apps; we may develop competing applications
You retain ownership of IP Rights in your Apps. You grant RBC and its affiliates a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable license to reproduce, use, sublicense, and distribute your Apps, both internally and externally, and to create new applications and IP rights, which are based on, or derivative of, your Apps.
You acknowledge and agree that we may independently create apps, content, and other products or services that may be similar to or competitive with your Apps and their content. Nothing in these Terms will restrict or prevent us from creating and fully exploiting such apps, content, and other items, without any obligation to you.
If you are an RBC employee these Terms do not alter any agreement or terms you have with RBC, now or in the future, concerning your employment or ownership of intellectual property. In addition, all of our policies and procedures, including the RBC Code of Conduct, apply to your use of the Developer Portal.
OUR IP RIGHTS
All IP Rights in the Developer Portal belong exclusively to us, except as provided in these Terms
All right, title and interest (including, without limitation, all IP Rights) in and to the Developer Portal (including any documentation for the Developer Portal) and any modification, improvements, derivative works or updates or upgrades shall remain exclusively with RBC.
If you provide us feedback or suggestions regarding the Developer Portal, which may include suggestions for, or feedback concerning, improvements, modifications, corrections, enhancements, derivatives or extensions, as well as branding ideas (“Feedback”). It is agreed that any Feedback shall be solely owned by RBC, without any obligation to compensate you. RBC may develop technology, modifications, corrections, enhancements, derivatives or extensions (“Improvements”), and further may also develop branding elements, based on such Feedback, and such Improvements and branding elements, and any IP Rights therein, particularly any intellectual property registrations, shall be owned exclusively by RBC. You agree to sign such further documents as may be required reasonably to confirm such ownership by RBC.
You may not use any RBC trademark unless otherwise approved by us in writing.
You shall not take any steps, and shall not assist or provide consent to any third party to take steps, to dispute or contest the ownership, validity, or enforceability of any RBC IP Rights.
NO WARRANTY, MAINTENANCE OR SUPPORT
The Developer Portal comes “as is”; we do not provide maintenance or support
You accept the Developer Portal “as is” and assume the entire risk for the performance of the Developer Portal and the results produced by the Developer Portal. You agree that we do not grant to you any warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, on the Developer Portal and any documentation for the Developer Portal. Because RBC is not in the business of supplying software to third parties and we are providing the Developer Portal to you only on the condition that you assume the entire risk for its use, it is reasonable for RBC to limit our exposure to damages. We will not be liable to you, or any other party, for any damages whatsoever, under these Terms or otherwise. RBC will not be liable to you, or any other party, for any direct, special, indirect, punitive or consequential damages, including but not limited to lost profits and other commercial or economic loss, and for claims by third parties against you. These Terms apply even if RBC has been notified of the possibility of any damages and irrespective of the cause of action, including without limitation breach of contract and negligence.
You will (1) defend RBC against any claims by a third party arising out of your use of the Developer Portal, and (2) indemnify RBC against all costs, damages, and other liabilities, including but not limited to legal fees, that result from the defense of any claim.
RBC has no obligation to provide maintenance or support for the Developer Portal, including without limitation training or other assistance.
Appropriate behaviour when using the Developer Portal
When accessing the Developer Portal, or developing your Apps, you will not:
- Gain unauthorized access or use to, or otherwise damage, impede, or disrupt our services or systems, including through fraudulent or disruptive means.
- Engage in fraudulent or illegal conduct of any kind.
- Access or use the Developer Portal for the benefit of our competitors, or to compete with us.
- Transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or any programming of a destructive nature.
- Store or archive the Developer Portal, or any part thereof, to your own or a third party’s computer systems or storage devices.
- Access or use the Developer Portal to create Apps that offer or promote services that may be damaging to, disparaging of, or otherwise detrimental to us or our partners.
- Assign or transfer your rights or obligations under these Terms.
- Distribute, publish, or allow access or linking to the Developer Portal from any location or source other than your Apps.
- Modify, decompile, reverse engineer or otherwise alter the Developer Portal.
- Use robots, spiders, crawlers, scraping or other similar technology to access or use any RBC sites or services to obtain any information beyond that which RBC provides to you under these Terms.
- Modify, decompile, reverse engineer or otherwise alter the Developer Portal.
- Use the Developer Portal in a manner that exceeds reasonable request volume, constitutes excessive or abusive usage or otherwise fails to comply or is inconsistent with any part of the Developer Portal documentation.
- Use any information we provide to dispute or contest the validity of RBC’s IP Rights.
- Use the names, trade names, trademarks, service marks, slogans, logos, domain names, or other indicia of RBC in any way.
- Remove any copyright notice or other RBC source identifier contained in the Developer Portal.
Security of your information depends a lot on you
You are responsible for keeping your Sign-In Credentials confidential, and you must not disclose them to anyone. You must also comply with the following requirements:
- Notify us immediately of any potential or actual disclosure of your Sign-In Credentials.
- Take all reasonable and necessary steps to prevent others from accessing your Profile, including signing-out after each session.
- Not leave your Device unattended while logged into the Developer Portal, and take reasonable steps to protect your Device against loss or theft.
- Use reasonable security measures, which include up-to-date virus scanning software and a firewall system, if such security measures are available on your Device.
- Comply with any additional security requirements that we may require in connection with the Developer Portal.
From time-to-time, we may require you to update your Sign-In Credentials. We will not be responsible for any losses that may result if you share or lose your Sign-In Credentials. You are liable for all activity on the Developer Portal associated with your Profile, Sign-In Credentials and Consumer Key, as well as your Apps and your Apps’ users.
CHANGES AND TERMINATION
How changes will be made and communicated to you, and when your Profile may be terminated
Changes. We can change (add, remove or alter) any part or feature of the Developer Portal, at our sole discretion. Following any change, these terms will continue to apply to all parts of the Developer Portal.
Subject to legal and regulatory requirements, we can also change these Terms by giving you notice of the changes, before or after the changes take effect. If you use the Developer Portal after a change to these Terms, or after we have notified you of a change, you are deemed to have read and accepted the new version of the Terms.
Termination by us. Without prior notice and for any reason, we can suspend or terminate your access to the Developer Portal, including your Consumer Key and calls to our APIs, and/or terminate part or all of these Terms.
Termination by you. To terminate your profile and use of the Developer Portal, please contact us at Contact Us.
These Terms will continue to apply following the termination of your Developer Portal account.
How we’ll use information that you give us; you are required to comply with privacy law
Your obligations. At all times, your use of the Developer Portal and your Apps will comply with all Applicable Law and best practices concerning privacy, data protection and on demand or downloadable software.
Use for the Developer Portal. The consents and authorizations contained in these Terms will not change any other consent, authorization or preference you have given or may give to RBC regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your information.
You authorize us to collect, use and disclose your personal information, including information you provide while registering and using the Developer Portal, to provide you with access to the Developer Portal.
We may use your information for any purpose in connection with the Developer Portal, and the Third Party Services, and assessing, evaluating and reporting on the Developer Portal and the Third Party Services, including the following:
- To verify your identity.
- To help us better understand the current and future needs of Developer Portal users and our clients.
- To communicate to you any benefit, feature and other information about the Developer Portal.
- To help us better manage our business and your relationship with us.
- To provide you with products and services you may request, including Third Party Services.
- To determine your eligibility for products and services we offer.
- As required or permitted by Applicable Law.
We may share your information with our employees, our agents and our Third Party Service Providers. In the event a Third Party Service Provider is located outside of Canada, it is bound by, and information may be disclosed in accordance with, the Applicable Law of the jurisdiction in which it is located.
We may combine your information with any other information we hold about you and use it for any purpose you have otherwise consented to.
We may also use your information and share it with RBC Companies to manage our risks and operations and those of RBC Companies and to comply with valid requests for information about you from regulators, government agencies, public bodies, or other entities who have a right to issue such requests.
Other uses of your personal information. We may also use your personal information for other purposes:
- We may use your information to promote our products and services, and promote products and services of third parties we select, which may be of interest to you.
- We may also, where not prohibited by Applicable Law, share this information with RBC Companies for the purpose of referring you to them or promoting to you products and services which may be of interest to you. We and other RBC Companies may communicate with you through various channels, including telephone, computer or mail, using the contact information you have provided. You acknowledge that as a result of such sharing RBC Companies may advise us of the products or services they provide to you.
- If you also deal with other RBC Companies, we may, where not prohibited by Applicable Law, consolidate information you provide to us with information other RBC Companies have about you to allow us and any RBC Companies to manage the relationship with you.
- We may use your information to promote our products and services, and promote products and services of Third Parties we select, which may be of interest to you. We will not share your information with Third Parties for the purposes of these promotions, but you may choose to do so when acting on an offer. We may communicate with you through various channels, including the Developer Portal and if you request, by e-mail, using the contact information you have provided. If you do not wish to receive promotions, or information about promotions, as set out in this paragraph, please contact us at 1-800-769-2511.
You understand that we and RBC Companies are separate, affiliated corporations. RBC Companies include our affiliates which are engaged in the business of providing any one or more of the following services to the public: deposits; loans and other personal financial services; credit, charge and payment card services; trust and custodial services; securities and brokerage services; and insurance services.
You may choose not to have your information shared or used for any of these “Other uses” by contacting us as set out below, and in this event, you will not be refused credit or other services just for that reason. We will respect your choices and, as mentioned above, we may share your choices with RBC Companies for the sole purpose of honouring your choices regarding “Other uses of your personal information”.
Your right to access your personal information. You may obtain more information about our privacy policies by asking for a copy of our Financial Fraud Prevention and Privacy Protection Brochure by calling us at 1-800-769-2511 or by visiting our web site at http://www.rbc.com/privacysecurity.
THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS
Other people help us operate the Developer Portal; there are limitations on your use of their content
We use Third Party Service Providers to provide or to assist us in providing Developer Portal. When using the Developer Portal:
- You may use Third Party Content solely for your own use,
- You may not sell, distribute or otherwise use Third Party Content or other information from the Developer Portal, and you may not permit such distribution or use by anyone else, and
- You may not provide or make available any Third Party Content to any provider of products or services similar to those products and services provided by the Third Party Service Providers.
You understand and agree Third Party Content is provided “as-is” and “as available”, and that we and the Third Party Service Providers expressly disclaim all warranties (express and implied), including, without limitation, any warranties regarding accuracy, completeness, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Third Party Service Providers do not guarantee the correctness of the Third Party Content and will not be liable for any losses or damages (including without limitation, any indirect or consequential damages) caused by use of the Third Party Content or errors or interruptions in the transmission of the Third Party Content.
Third Party Service Providers retain all ownership rights, including all intellectual property rights, in Third Party Content and their trademarks and logos that appear on the Developer Portal. Nothing in these Terms or the Developer Portal should be interpreted as conferring any right for you (1) to use Third Party Content in any way other than as expressly permitted in these Terms, or (2) to use any Third Party Service Provider trademarks or logos.
You agree that we and Third Party Service Providers may use information and content you provide through the Developer Portal to create statistical, profiling, performance or operational reports about the Developer Portal. These reports may be shared with third parties, in which case, the information in the reports will not be attributable to you.
In no event, even if a Third Party Service Provider is negligent, will the Third Party Service Provider be liable to you for any losses or damages caused by or in any way related to the Developer Portal. Such losses or damages include without limitation (1) direct, incidental, indirect, consequential, special, aggravated, punitive or exemplary damages, (2) loss of data, profits, information, opportunity, revenues and goodwill, and (3) any other business interruption, commercial or economic losses.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNIFICATION
Read this carefully—it limits your right to sue us
You are solely responsible for all information, content or IP Rights that you give us through the Developer Portal.
We will not be responsible for any loss, harm, injury, damage, delay or inconvenience suffered or incurred by you with respect to: (1) these Terms, the Developer Portal, your Apps or (2) any instruction given to, by or purported to be given by you, using your Sign-In Credentials and/or Consumer Key, in connection with the Developer Portal.
In no event, even if we are negligent, will we be liable for any losses or damages caused by or in any way related to the Developer Portal. Such losses or damages include without limitation (1) direct, incidental, indirect, consequential, special, aggravated, punitive or exemplary damages, (2) loss of data, profits, information, opportunity, revenues and goodwill, and (3) any other business interruption, commercial or economic losses. Such limitation of liability applies regardless of the cause of action, even if we have advised of the possibility of such damages.
In addition, in no event, even if we are negligent, will we be liable for any loss or damage suffered by you that is caused by:
- The actions of, or any failure to act by a Third Party or Third Party Service Provider (and no such Third Party or Third Party Service Provider will be considered to be acting as our agent),
- Mistakes, errors, omissions, inaccuracies or other inadequacies of, or contained in any data given by you to us or any Third Party or Third Party Service Provider, including your failure to update, or the Developer Portal and any data or information provided to you by any Third Party,
- Mistakes, errors, omissions, inaccuracies or other inadequacies of, or contained, in the Developer Portal, including the any failure to update,
- Any delay, error, interruption or failure by us or any Third Party or Third Party Service Provider to perform or fulfill any of our obligations to you due to any cause beyond our control, any system malfunctions or any technical failures,
- Unsecured communication being inaccurate, intercepted, reviewed or altered by others, or not received by you,
- Your use of the Developer Portal, including, without limitation, any delay or inability to access or use the Developer Portal,
- Your failure to receive or view an email that has been presented to you, and we will not be responsible for any delay, damage or inconvenience that such failure may cause, or
- Your failure to fulfill any of your obligations under these Terms, including those in the “Security” and “Representations” sections of these Terms, or to comply with any instructions we may provide to you from time to time in connection with the Developer Portal.
Except with respect to claims, costs and liabilities arising because of our negligence, you will release and indemnify us and any other person for any claim, cost and liability incurred as a result of (1) your access to or use of the Developer Portal, including any claim, cost and liability related to your Apps, or (2) or your breach of these Terms.
ELECTRONIC AGREEMENT AND RECORDS
Electronic actions are equivalent to actions taken in person, on paper
These Terms and any related terms, conditions, instructions, disclaimers or documents may be accepted in electronic form and your acceptance is binding between you and us. Neither you nor RBC will contest the validity or enforceability of these Terms and any related documents because they were accepted or signed in electronic form. Your use of the Developer Portal confirms your acceptance of these Terms and any modification to them.
There may be terms, conditions, instructions or disclaimers displayed on-screen in the Developer Portal, or when you click on icons or links in the Developer Portal. You must access those terms, and by using the Developer Portal, you agree that the on-screen terms are binding and form part of these Terms.
While using the Developer Portal, you authorize us to accept and you agree to be responsible for any instruction given by you or purported to be given by you using your Sign-In Credentials. Any instruction will have the same legal effect as if it was written instruction and signed by you.
Our records, including electronic records, regarding the Developer Portal are final and conclusive. These records will be admissible in any legal, administrative or other proceedings. Furthermore, electronic data and records will be admissible as conclusive evidence of the contents of those records in the same manner as original paper documents. You waive any right to object to the introduction of any such electronic data or records into evidence.
General contract law stuff
If any provision of these Terms is found to be invalid or unenforceable, this will not affect the validity or enforceability of the other provisions of these Terms. Our failure to enforce strict performance of any provisions of these Terms does not mean we have waived any provision or right. Neither the course of conduct between you and us, nor trade practice modifies any provision of these Terms. You may not assign or transfer these Terms or any of its obligations or rights hereunder to any other person.
All communication will be in English
You and we have expressly requested that these Terms, the Developer Portal, and all related documents, including notices, be drawn up in the English language. Vous et nous avons expressément demandé que cette entente et tout document y afférent, y compris tout avis, soient rédigés en langue anglaise. (Quebec only / Québec seulement).
Regardless of where you are located, Ontario law applies and any claim must be brought in Ontario courts
These Terms are entered into and governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. You and we agree that the Ontario courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over each of us for the determination of any matters arising out of this Terms.
What do defined terms mean?
- API(s) means RBC-owned application programming interfaces and related software.
- App(s) means the software application, website or other interface that you develop that interacts with the Developer Portal.
- Applicable Law means, for all countries, all applicable (a) laws (including common law) and regulations, and (b) orders, guidance (oral or written) or other official releases of any regulator or court that are applicable to us or you, the Developer Portal, Apps, or any other matters relating to the subject matter of these Terms.
- Device means any mobile device, computer or other device you use to access the Developer Portal.
- Other Log-In Information means the username, password or other information you must enter to access your Other Provider accounts.
- Other Provider means GitHub, Inc., including GitHub.com.
- IP Rights means any and all (by whatever name or term known or designated) tangible and intangible and now known or hereafter existing throughout the universe (a) rights associated with works of authorship throughout the universe, including but not limited to copyrights, moral rights, and mask-works, (b) trademark and trade name rights and similar rights, (c) trade secret rights, (d) patents, design rights, and other industrial property rights, (e) all registrations in the foregoing as applicable (including continuations, continuations-in-part, and divisions thereof), renewals, extensions, reissues and re-examinations thereof now or hereafter in force (including all rights in any of the foregoing), and (f) all other intellectual and industrial property rights (of every kind and nature and however designated) (including logos, “rental” rights and rights to remuneration), whether arising by operation of law, contract, license, or otherwise.
- Profile means your user profile for the Developer Portal, and includes your Sign-In Credentials.
- RBC Companies means Royal Bank of Canada and its affiliates.
- Sign-In Credentials means a username and password, or other Log-In Information used to access the Developer Portal.
- Third Party means any party other than you, us or a party when acting as a Third Party Service Provider. It includes our subsidiaries and affiliates and parties who provide Third Party Services.
- Third Party Content means content, information and IP Rights contained in the Developer Portal provided by any Third Party Service Provider.
- Third Party Services means any products or services provided by a Third Party that can be used or accessed on or through the Developer Portal
- Third Party Service Provider means a party retained by us to act on our behalf to provide, or to assist us in providing, the Developer Portal.